Hospital Complaints

If you have been injured as a result of a lack of attention by a medical professional while at the hospital, you have a right to make a hospital complaint. When you talk to one of our specialists, we may ask you to make a complaint before we decide whether we can assist you with your claim.


When you talk to one of our specialist personal injury lawyers, we will advise that before starting legal action against a medical practitioner that you talk to them first. There may be a genuine misunderstanding or a problem in communication, that can often be resolved at this stage.

If you have been injured because a medical professional has let you down, the first thing you should do is to formally complain to the healthcare provider – hospital or surgery, who treated you. This should be done in writing.

We will send you a template so you will have a better understanding of how to word your complaint. Contact our specialist lawyers on 0800 0 224 224 for initial advice on how to make a hospital complaint.


1. How do I make a hospital complaint?

If you are unhappy with the treatment or care you have received, you can make a hospital complaint by contacting the healthcare provider when you received the service. You can complain in writing, by email or by speaking to someone in the organisation. For any hospital complaint, you should keep a record of:

  • The dates and times when you talk to them
  • The names of who you have spoken to
  • Details of the discussion

2. How do I make an NHS hospital complaint?

Before escalating an NHS hospital complaint, you should make sure you have tried to resolve the issue with the healthcare provider first. If you’re still unhappy after talking informally about the issue, you can make a complaint under the NHS complaints procedure. This means that you can refer your complaint to the ‘Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’ for further investigation.

3. What is the timescale for making a hospital complaint?

You should make your hospital complaint within 12 months of the incident, or from when you were aware of the issue. There are exceptions to the time limit, only if it’s still possible to investigate your hospital complaint.

4. What should I do if I want to take legal action? 

If you wish to take legal action against a healthcare provider, Thompsons Solicitors can help you. We will thoroughly examine the circumstances of your case and may also obtain expert views of independent medical specialists who can advise where clinical practices and procedures have been poor or below acceptable standards. Call us on 0800 0 224 224 to discuss your case, or complete our online claim form to start a claim for hospital compensation. We’ll review your case and provide guidance on how to make a hospital complaint.