A juice bar worker who suffered an electric shock when she touched a faulty freezer at work has received compensation for her injuries.

Julie Humphries, 34, from Rotherham was injured when she was collecting produce from Boost Juice Bar in Meadowhall in Sheffield.

She suffered the shock when she placed her hand on top of the chest freezer. The shop manager, who has since been sacked, was aware that the freezer was faulty but had not switched it off or warned staff.

The shock caused Mrs Humphries to suffer severe pain in her neck and shoulders as well as agonising headaches. She had to take a week off work following the accident and continues to get bouts of pain, which forces her off work again.

Following the accident she instructed Thompsons Solicitors to pursue a claim for compensation.

Investigations revealed that the manager had not warned his head office about the faulty freezer or taken steps to isolate it from the electrical mains.

Boost Juice Bars Ltd admitted liability and settled the claim out of court.

Health has been seriously affected as a result

Mrs Humphries said: “I’m angry that I was so needlessly exposed to this danger and that my health has been so seriously effected as a result. I could have had no idea there was a problem with the freezer.

“The pain in my neck and shoulders can be incapacitating and it means I’ve had to take a lot of time off work. Additionally it’s had a real impact on my home life. I have to be careful not to push myself so I’m not as active as I used to be.”

Sarah Wilkinson from Thompsons Solicitors’ Leeds office said: “Regular electrical testing on the machinery in this shop would have highlighted the problems with the freezer and avoided this accident from happening. The manager knew the freezer was faulty yet failed to put the equipment out of service or to warn staff about the potential dangers.

“Our client has been left suffering from a great deal of pain in her neck and shoulders and is likely to need to take further time off work for at least another year.”