Call us:  0800 0 224 224

Our claims services

Contact us today

Call us free on

0800 0 224 224

Email us at

Contact one of our offices

Find your local office

Holiday Accident Claims

If you've been hurt in an accident abroad, our foreign jurisdiction team can help you claim compensation for your injuries.

Talk To Us

Holiday injury and accident abroad claims

Hundreds of thousands of British families go on holiday in the UK or abroad each year. While the majority of those holidays are incident-free, many people, unfortunately, do get injured on holiday.

If you or a family member were injured while on holiday in the UK or had an accident abroad, you may be entitled to make a travel accident claim.


Why trust Thompsons Solicitors with your holiday accident claim?

Thompsons Solicitors has helped thousands of British holidaymakers to secure compensation in holiday injury claims pursued in the UK courts.

Our expert accident abroad solicitors can review the details of your case and let you know whether you have a valid claim for compensation, and talk you through the process of making a claim.

There are strict deadlines for personal injury compensation claims, and complicated rules regarding the kinds of travel accident claims that can make it through the courts of England and Wales. Contact Thompsons Solicitors as soon as possible for legal advice on how to make a compensation claim for an accident abroad, call us on 0800 0 224 224.

Here are a few more reasons why you should trust Thompsons Solicitors with your personal injury claim:

  • We only ever represent the injured or mistreated – never insurance companies, and never employers
  • Our fair and transparent funding options make sure everyone can access an independent, specialist personal injury solicitor
  • We offer no win, no fee personal injury claims
  • We provide access to rehabilitation, medical care and other support services
  • We secure interim payments (where appropriate) to ease the immediate financial impact of a personal injury
  • We fight, and win, the personal injury cases that other law firms may turn down.

To find out more about what makes us different, and what we stand for, read the Thompsons Pledge.

Talk to Us

Are you, or is a member of your family, a current or retired member of a trade union?

Time limits apply to bringing personal injury claims, to find out more read our guide here

Please read our privacy policy here.

Our foreign accident claims lawyers

We understand how devastating having an accident in a foreign country can be. If you’re ready to talk about your case, one of our foreign accident claims lawyers would be happy to help.

Call us on 0800 0 224 224
Martyn Gwyther

Martyn Gwyther

Principal Lawyer for Overseas Accident Claims

Martyn represents clients where accidents have happened in England or Wales, but where there is an international element to the case.

Read more

Michael Dale

Michael Dale

Personal Injury Lawyer

Michael is a specialist lawyer who handles cases involving claims against tour operators providing overseas package holidays. 

Read more

 Nick Taylor

Nick Taylor

Personal Injury Lawyer

Personal injury solicitor Nick is based at Thompsons Solicitors’ Manchester branch and covers cases nationwide and abroad. 

Read more

Gareth Cater-Ward

Gareth Cater-Ward

Personal Injury Lawyer

Gareth specialises in personal injury cases where there is a foreign element involved. 

Read more

Stephen Jewell

Stephen Jewell

Personal Injury Lawyer

Stephen Jewell brings more than two decades of experience of successfully handling personal injury claims.

Read more

Neil Richards

Neil Richards

Senior Personal Injury Lawyer

Neil supervises other team members and handles a caseload of multi-track and serious injury claims, involving cross border litigation.

Read more

Introduction to accidents abroad

Sarah Gardner is a specialist personal injury lawyer from our foreign jurisdiction team. 

Here she explains the Thompsons approach to accident abroad compensation claims.

Frequently asked questions about accident abroad claims

Accidents abroad can vary, from swimming pool slips to skiing and snowboarding injuries, or faulty hotel equipment and accidents on the road. These can result in laceration or broken bones, through to scalds, brain or spinal injury, as well as loss of life.

The rules about whether you can make a travel accident claim can be complicated. We explain below how we can help you to make a claim for different types of accidents abroad.

Accidents while traveling abroad:

If you tripped and fell in your hotel grounds of the hotel you are staying in because of a badly maintained footpath, then you could make a holiday accident claim against your UK-based travel agent through the courts of England and Wales. But if you fell because of a pot hole in the local town centre, while you may still be able to claim, the process might be more complicated.

Road accidents abroad:

We can provide legal advice on how to claim for a road accident abroad that wasn’t your fault. If your car accident abroad happened within Europe, your claim can currently be settled in UK courts and is protected by EU law, but this may change depending on the outcome of Brexit. You can still make a claim if you the road accident in a non-EU country if the journey was organised as part of a package holiday, or if you made the contract for the holiday in the UK.

Accidents while working abroad:

Whether you’ve been injured while working abroad during your studies, on a business trip or as part of a project, we can help you to make a claim if the person who organized for you to be in the foreign country is a UK business or have a registered office in the UK. If the accident was during the course of you being abroad for your employment by a UK business, the claim process would work in the same way as an accident at work that occurred here, and our accident abroad solicitors will investigate your working conditions to determine whether your employer was responsible for your injury.

For free legal advice on whether you are eligible for foreign accident compensation, contact Thompsons Solicitors today on 0800 0 224 224.

No, not necessarily. If you booked your holiday as part of a package deal through a UK-based travel agent, and were injured because of a fault of that travel agent or their representatives, such as hotel staff, then Thompsons Solicitors can deal with a claim within the courts of England and Wales.

If you booked your own travel and accommodation without going via a third party, you may still have a valid claim for compensation if you were injured abroad.

Get in touch with our expert solicitors who can give you expert advice on travel accident claims and the likelihood of your case being successful.

There is a strict three-year time limit on making travel accident claims.

While there are a few exceptions to this rule, if you are thinking of making a claim, then it is advisable to seek legal advice as soon as possible. Thompson Solicitors’ friendly legal advisors are on hand to answer any questions you may have on 0800 0 224 224.

If you have an accident abroad while on holiday, it is important that you can prove another person or party was responsible.

You should:

  • Get medical treatment immediately – if you do not, then it may affect the success of your claim;
  • Report your holiday accident or injury to the hotel staff or your travel representative, where relevant, as soon as you can;
  • Log your accident in any relevant accident book and take procures of the area where it occurred;
  • Keep receipts for any expenses incurred in relation to your holiday injury, such as travel costs;
  • Make sure you seek professional legal advice as soon as possible.

Yes. If you were injured abroad in the last three years and it was someone else’s fault, then it may be possible to claim for compensation through the courts in England and Wales.

The rules are complex, so it’s best to seek professional advice quickly to find out if you have a valid case for compensation.

Yes. If you live in the UK and have been injured whilst on holiday in this country in the last three years, and you believe it was the fault of someone else, then your holiday injury will be dealt with in the same way as any other travel accident claim.

To start a UK-based holiday accident claim, call us today on 0800 0 224 224 or complete our online claim form.

Compensation for accidents abroad can range from hundreds of pounds to tens of millions of pounds, depending on the severity of the injury inflicted and its short and long-term impact.

The more severe and life-changing the injury, the more compensation is awarded.

Our accident abroad solicitors will be able to give you a better idea of how much compensation you could secure after reviewing your case.

It shouldn’t be. The rules regarding whether your case can be heard in the courts of England and Wales are complicated, but that’s why we recommend you enlist the support of one of our experienced accident abroad solicitors.

Thompsons Solicitors has decades of experience and has secured compensation for many people who have suffered an accident abroad. Our accident abroad solicitors are accustomed to dealing with holiday injury cases and will strive to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation as soon as possible while keeping the process stress-free for you so that you can focus on your recovery.

There is no set time period for settling compensation claims. The more complicated your claim is, the longer your case may take to resolve.

Thompsons Solicitors prides itself on securing your compensation as quickly as possible, without compromising the value of your claim.

No. Your financial circumstances should not dictate whether or not you can seek recompense for an injury you have suffered because of someone else.

If you are a trade union member then you are entitled to free legal representation and support from our accident abroad solicitors, so visit your union hub as soon as possible to find out what your legal package entitles you to.

For those who aren’t members of a trade union, Thompsons Solicitors recommends a ‘no win, no fee’ agreement for people making holiday injury claims. More details can be found on our fees and payment page.

A Guide To Foreign Jurisdiction Cases

Here foreign jurisdiction solicitor, Martyn Gwyther, provides expert insight on the types of foreign jurisdiction cases handled by the firm

Find out more

How Can I Claim For An Accident On The Beach

Thompsons can help you establish who is to blame for your injuries at the beach and if there is someone who can be blamed, help you make a claim against them.

Find out more

How To Make A Claim For A Ski Accident

Need information on what to do if you’ve sustained an injury from a ski accident? We answer your questions about making a ski accident claim.

Find out more