Call us:  0800 0 224 224

Our claims services

Contact us today

Call us free on

0800 0 224 224

Email us at

Contact one of our offices

Find your local office

Public Liability Accident

If you've been injured in public, our personal injury solicitors can help you claim compensation.

Talk To Us

Public Liability Claims

Every day, across the UK, people are injured or involved in avoidable accidents in public places – from beaches to parks, restaurants to supermarkets, car parks and shops. The type and severity of these personal injuries can vary significantly.

Businesses, councils and local authorities have a duty of care to those visiting their premises or using their roads, for example, to ensure they are safe and that any risk to public safety is minimised.


Why Thompsons Solicitors should be your first choice when making a public liability claim

Thompsons Solicitors has a team of public liability solicitors nationwide, who have extensive experience in running successful public liability claims for people who have been injured in accidents in public places – from sprained ankles and broken bones, to scarring and more serious injuries.

If you would like to make a public liability claim after being injured or involved in an accident in a public place, Thompsons Solicitors is ready to help. Call our experts on 0800 0 224 224.

Here are a few more reasons why you should trust Thompsons Solicitors with your personal injury claim:

  • We only ever represent the injured or mistreated – never insurance companies, and never employers
  • Our fair and transparent funding options make sure everyone can access an independent, specialist personal injury solicitor
  • We offer no win, no fee personal injury claims
  • We provide access to rehabilitation, medical care and other support services
  • We secure interim payments (where appropriate) to ease the immediate financial impact of a personal injury
  • We fight, and win, the personal injury cases that other law firms may turn down.

To find out more about what makes us different, and what we stand for, read the Thompsons Pledge.

If you, or a loved one, has suffered an injury or illness as a result of someone else’s negligence in the last three years, contact Thompsons Solicitors today for advice and to start your claim for personal injury compensation.

Talk to Us

Are you, or is a member of your family, a current or retired member of a trade union?

Time limits apply to bringing personal injury claims, to find out more read our guide here

Please read our privacy policy here.

We're here to help you

Our personal injury experts are on hand to talk through your case and provide free, no-obligation legal advice.

Frequently asked questions about public liability accident claims

Any accident that happens in a place open and accessible to the public, whether indoors or outdoors, can be considered a public place accident. Also known as public liability accidents, they could involve being injured as a result of, for example, an accident in the street, an accident in a shop or your local supermarket, gym accidents, leisure centre accidents, or even accidents at theme parks.

A public accident compensation claim is the legal process of seeking financial compensation for an injury sustained in a public space because of someone else’s fault. It is the responsibility of the injured person’s legal representative to prove that someone else was responsible – or negligent - for the accident, and that it was this accident that caused your injuries.

Thompsons Solicitors’ public liability solicitors have helped people to secure compensation for a range of different accidents in public places. The most common types of public liability claims involves slips, trips or falls on uneven pavements or roads, or slips on wet floors in supermarkets or shops. Other examples could include, but are not limited to, hot water spills in cafes and restaurants, lift- or escalator-related accidents, or injuries caused by discarded or broken glass in public places, such as beaches and parks. If you have had an accident in a public place and are unsure if you could make a public place accident claim, contact our personal injury lawyers to discuss what happened.

It will be necessary to show that the pavement was in a dangerous condition and that this caused the injury.

Sometimes lawyers wrongly advise that this means the pavement you tripped on has to be one inch or so higher than the surrounding road. Our public liability lawyers have won claims where the tripping danger measured less than an inch, where it could be shown it posed a clear danger anyway. It is, however, true that it helps greatly to have a photograph and measurement of what you tripped on taken as soon after the accident as possible and the greater the tripping hazard, the better chance of success.

Public place accident, or public place liability, injuries can vary considerably - from cuts and bruises through to broken bones, serious life-threatening injuries and even death. Whatever your injury and however complex, Thompsons Solicitors can help.

Yes. If you would like to make a compensation claim after being injured in an accident in public that you feel wasn’t your fault, contact Thompsons Solicitors. A claim for compensation after a public place accident must be made within three years of the accident taking place. Your personal injury solicitor will need to prove that the accident was the fault of those responsible for the public space or someone employed by them. If it is determined that both you and the owner of the place where the accident happened were in some way responsible, then you may still be entitled to compensation, but the amount would be proportionate to their blame. This is called contributory negligence. Shared responsibility for an accident does not mean you can’t claim compensation, it just means you get less damages. Our legal specialists can explain this in more detail for you – just give us a ring on 0800 0 224 224 or fill in our no-obligation online claim form.

As with all personal injury cases, there are strict time limits to begin a compensation claim - three years from the date of the injury. There are very limited exceptions to this rule, including for minors who have three years from their 18th birthday to make a claim. If in doubt, contact our professionals as soon as possible for expert advice. If you are concerned that you’re approaching the three year time limit, let our friendly team know on 0800 0 224 224 and they can expedite the start of your claim.

The amount of compensation awarded for an accident in public claim varies. The process of calculating personal injury compensation requires several factors to be considered, including the severity of your injury and how long it has taken, or will take, for you to make a full recovery. Other considerations include any loss of earnings you may have suffered, and any expenses incurred, including the cost of treatment you have needed, or will need.

Thompsons Solicitors will always aim to secure you the maximum amount of compensation in the shortest time possible.

All businesses and organisations in the UK are required to have public liability insurance to cover personal injury claims, so your compensation claim will be paid for by their insurance company. 

If you are a trade union member, you are eligible to receive free legal advice and representation from Thompsons Solicitors. Our personal injury lawyers have represented tens of thousands of members of UK trade unions, providing them with free support and ensuring they keep 100 per cent of the compensation awarded to them. For more information, contact your union legal representative or visit our dedicated trade unions hub.

If you are not a trade union member, then contact our public liability solicitors for advice on other ways to finance your public liability claim at no financial risk to you. We often recommend a conditional fee agreement, or ‘no win, no fee’ arrangement to ensure you are not left out of pocket if your claim is unsuccessful. You can learn more about the different payment options by speaking to our public liability experts on 0800 0 224 224 or by visiting our fees and payments page.

What Is Duty Of Care

In this guide, our specialist personal injury lawyers will explain how duty of care applies in personal injury claims.

Find out more

Making A Public Liability Claim

Everything you need to know about making a public liability claim with Thompsons Solicitors

Find out more

What Is Contributory Negligence

What is contributory negligence and how does it affect personal injury claims

Find out more