Carbon monoxide is a colourless and tasteless, yet poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels. You can’t see, taste or smell carbon monoxide but if inhaled, it can prove fatal because it prevents oxygen from being carried around the body.
According to the NHS, every year there are approximately 60 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales. The symptoms are not always obvious, and range initially from headaches to stomach pain. Over a prolonged period of time, exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to serious health complications, even death.
The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the workplace is present across different industries. The substance can be produced in dangerous amounts from petrol-powered vehicles, equipment and machines, as well as gas appliances.