Asbestos disease case
Reverend Richard Bailey turned to Thompsons Solicitors’ asbestos specialists after he was diagnosed with the deadly asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma. He died 10 months after his diagnosis, aged just 69 years old.
His wife, Marilyn, continued the claim on his behalf following his death. With our help, she secured a six-figure settlement.
Richard was exposed to asbestos dust between 1962 and 1971 while working as a carpenter and joiner for a specialist company in Bradford, Yorkshire. They secured a contract with an electricity board to make insulated cabinets. He inhaled the asbestos dust while making timber cabinets lined with asbestos sheets and sweeping the dust from the floor.
“Thompsons Solicitors was professional and extremely thorough - nothing was too much trouble. My solicitor was in regular contact with me and would often visit my home."
The former vicar of two Staffordshire churches was cared for by staff at St Giles Hospice near Lichfield shortly before his death, and the compensation has helped Marilyn recover the care costs on behalf of the hospice.
Marilyn said: “Thompsons Solicitors was professional and extremely thorough - nothing was too much trouble. My solicitor was in regular contact with me and would often visit my home.
“The company that my husband worked for in his early working life no longer existed. However, our solicitor assured us that by finding the insurance company, we could still make an asbestos compensation claim. They stuck to their word and, thanks to their expertise, I’ve been able to secure a settlement and, just as importantly, understand how and why my husband was exposed to asbestos in the first place.
“I am very grateful for their competent support.”