Whether the driver at fault is a family member or a friend they will need a valid insurance policy in place, which is a legal requirement. If the driver does not have valid insurance in force a claim may then be possible against the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) Uninsured Drivers Agreement.

It is important to remember that whilst a claim will be made against your family member or friend, it is their insurance company who will deal with the claim and not your family member. The purpose of car insurance is to compensate others for the loss or injury caused by the policy holder.