More than 50 patients have been told their mesh surgery at Southmead Hospital was unnecessary
North Bristol NHS Trust has today (27 March 2019) announced the findings of a review into laparoscopic ventral mesh rectopexy (LVMR) procedures conducted at Southmead Hospital.
Dating back to 2007, the review concluded that 57 patients are likely to have received inappropriate or unnecessary surgical procedures involving mesh.
According to a press release issued by North Bristol NHS Trust to local media, the Trust has contacted more than 140 patients who received LVMR surgery at Southmead Hospital. Of those patients:
- 73 were told that the surgery they received was appropriate;
- 13 are still subject to further investigation; however
- 57 people were told that the surgery they had been given was inappropriate and that they should have received alternative treatment.
The review is believed to have focused on patients who received treatment from Mr Tony Dixon, who is employed by North Bristol NHS Trust (operating from Southmead and Frenchay Hospitals) but who also practised privately at Spire Hospitals in Bristol. However, the inclusion of other surgeons in the review has not been ruled out.
This is the latest in a series of reviews into the controversial use of mesh products, adding to a growing body of evidence that suggests the use of surgical mesh is responsible for significant patient harm.
Until the government takes decisive action and imposes an all-out ban on dangerous surgical methods, including mesh, more patients will be harmed and there will be further recalls.
Madeleine Pinschof Thompsons Solicitors
Medical negligence specialists from Thompsons Solicitors are already representing more than 90 patients who received rectopexy or STARR surgery at Southmead and Frenchay Hospitals or at the Spire, and more than 250 mesh-injured women and men from across the UK. They are concerned that people will treat this as an isolated issue.
“This is another example of the dangerous complications associated with surgical mesh procedures,” said Madeleine Pinschof, senior solicitor and national coordinator for mesh, from Thompsons.
“Wherever mesh is being used - whether in cases of rectopexy or TVT - patients are being harmed.
“This recall is about one or more surgeons at one Trust but it isn’t an isolated issue and needs to be seen as part of a pattern repeated across the UK.
“Until the government takes decisive action and imposes an all-out ban on dangerous surgical methods, including mesh, more patients will be harmed and there will be further recalls.
“Only after a comprehensive study of the risks and a complete retraining of surgeons should there be any consideration given to this surgical method being continued and mesh being reintroduced.”
The deadline for patients who believe they have been injured as a result of mesh implant surgery performed by Mr Anthony Dixon on the NHS is Friday 28 June 2019.
For more information on how we are supporting those who have suffered complications following mesh surgery, visit our Let's Help Sling the Mesh campaign page.