A suspected gas leak caused a build up of gas within the walls of a terraced property, resulting in an explosion and flash fire shortly before 9.30am on the 5th February.

One female resident was injured in the incident and rushed to the specialist burns unit at Salisbury District Hospital by emergency services.

Utility companies isolated the source of the leak and an investigation is now underway to determine the exact cause of the incident.

Gas Explosion

Gas explosions occur when there is a gas leak in proximity to an ignition source. The consequences are often serious and can result in debilitating injuries. Serious burns and injuries such as fractures are not uncommon if the victim is thrown by or falls in the blast.

Gas leaks can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning which can be potentially fatal.

Natural gas is both odourless and colourless so gas companies add a harmless chemical to gas to give it an odour. If you smell gas within the home or workplace, you should:

• Leave the property immediately
• Inform your gas supplier / gas company
• Do not light a match
• Do not switch on or use anything electrical.

Henrietta Phillips, a solicitor at Thompsons Solicitors’ Serious Injuries Team said: “Gas leaks are not to be ignored no matter how small you think the leak may be. Many lives have been lost and properties destroyed by gas leaks and fires. The many gas leaks in the home and the workplace that we have dealt with for victims make clear what devastating injuries they can cause.”