The purpose is to raise awareness of gas safety and to encourage home owners, landlords, and employers to check gas appliances.

Incorrectly fitted, poorly serviced or faulty gas appliances pose great danger and can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless, tasteless and is almost impossible to detect. It is a poisonous gas that can be found in any home or workplace where a defective gas appliance is operating.

According to figures released by the Department of Health in the last year 50 people died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, and a further 4000 people required hospital treatment.

Central heating boilers, gas cookers and gas fires are most often responsible for ill health, but more than 43% of consumers fail to service their gas appliances regularly and 1 in 10 have never carried out the necessary checks.

Gas Safety Tips

• Safety check all your gas appliances annually.
• Instruct a Gas Safe certified engineer to service, repair or fit your gas appliance.
• Identify the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, and loss of consciousness.
• Check your gas appliances for signs or changes that may indicate the appliance is not functioning correctly.
• Purchase a carbon monoxide detector; ensure it is placed within close proximity to your gas appliances in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Gas appliances should be used only for what they are intended for, and for no other purpose.
• Ensure your gas appliance has ventilation and do not block any vents.