When a service person, who served before 6 April 2005, died as a result of their service in HM Forces and their disablement or illness was linked to their service in the Armed Forces, then their widow, widower, partner or dependent may be able to make a claim for a War Disablement Pension from the Veterans Agency.

The “War” bit is misleading. It is not a pre-requisite to have served in a war; it is just the name of the benefit.

It also applies to those who served in the Merchant Navy, the Coast Guard Service, the Nursing Service, the Home Guard, as well as those who served in the Polish Forces under British Command during the Second World War. Civilians or ex-Civil Defence workers can also claim.

There is currently no time limit for making a claim for War Disablement or War Widower’s Pension, although pension payments made following a claim are not back dated.

For accidents and illnesses after 6 April 2005, the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme will apply.

Useful web sites: