Edward Redmond died from Mesothelioma, with claims he was exposed to asbestos at Elstree Studios
The family of a former film studio stagehand, who worked on the set of the original Star Wars films, are searching for answers following his premature death from an asbestos disease, aged just 74.
Edward Redmond, known as Eamonn, worked at a number of film studios between 1975 and 2003. Firstly as a painter’s labourer and later as a stagehand. While he worked in the UK and abroad, he spent most of this time working at Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire, supporting the production of internationally known films and TV shows.
His initial job saw him working in the painter’s workshop, an old building that had a number of gas burners that were connected to heated pipes. The pipes and burners were insulated with lagging - which his family believe may have been asbestos. He also worked closely with carpenters on set builds, regularly being exposed to dust and debris.
In the summer of 2016, several years after retirement, Mr Redmond began experiencing symptoms of ill health. He was referred for tests, where an x-ray revealed fluid on his lungs and a CT scan later confirmed he was suffering from the asbestos related cancer, Mesothelioma.
He died from the disease in October 2017 and now his family are searching for answers.
Their hope is that information from old colleagues at Elstree Studios will help shed light on how and where he was exposed to asbestos, as part of a legal battle designed to bring those responsible to account.
Mr Redmond’s daughter, Lisa, said: “Dad was traumatised by his condition. He had a fantastic working life doing a job he loved which, ultimately, killed him. Asbestos in Elstree Studios is well recorded due to its removal by the current owners.
“However, witnesses are required to prove Dad was exposed to it while working there. There was a deadly substance putting him at risk. How many others are there who have worked there and are suffering or have died from a lung related disease? If anyone has information about working conditions at Elstree Studios from the 1970s onwards or the potential presence of asbestos, I urge them to come forward.”
Thompsons Solicitors’ Lisa Gormley, who is representing the family, added: “Star Wars may have been set in a ‘galaxy far, far away’ but for Mr Redmond’s family, the film’s legacy hits very close to home. The family have been devastated by his death.
“Unfortunately, this is not an isolated case - Mesothelioma deaths in the UK continue to rise. We know the risks of asbestos exposure now and employers knew the risks then. At Thompsons we consider it our job to work with families like Mr Redmond’s to ensure the right people are held to account.”
Anyone with further information should contact Lisa Gormley at Thompsons on 0151 224 1667, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.