The family of a Bradford factory worker who helped with the war effort in the 1940s is calling for information from her former work colleagues after she died from an asbestos related disease.

Kathleen Hodges, from Thornbury, Bradford, was 83 when she died from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung caused by asbestos.

Mrs Hodges had suffered from breathing difficulties for a number of years and her condition became progressively worse in 2009. After her death in January 2010 a post mortem revealed she died from mesothelioma.

Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos.

Following her death her daughter, Elizabeth Pennington, instructed asbestos claims experts Thompsons Solicitors for advice.

English Electric Company, known locally as the Phoenix Works

The family are interested in finding out more information about Mrs Hodges’ work with English Electric Company, known locally as the Phoenix Works, based on Leeds Road, Bradford.

She began working as a stator winder with the company initially in the 1940s when the company created small engines and components during the war effort. She continued to work in the factory until the 1960s, with a few breaks in her career to have children.

Elizabeth would like anyone who worked at English Electric during the 1940s to 1969 to contact Thompsons Solicitors.

She said: “We didn’t know my mother was suffering from an industrial disease until after her death. We are keen to hear from people who worked at the factory, or who knows anyone who did.”

Oliver Collett from Thompsons Solicitors added: “Mrs Hodges was unaware that her ill health was caused by exposure to asbestos during her working life. As a result her family are calling for anyone who worked in the factory during the 1940s up until 1969 to build up a picture of her working conditions to get in touch.”

Anyone with any more information should contact Oliver Collett on 08000 224 224 or by email on