The family of a Yorkshire man who died from an asbestos-related disease is appealing for information from his former work colleagues.

Frederick Dugmore, who was known as Tony, died in July 2014 after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, an incurable form of lung cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

After his death Tony's family contacted asbestos disease specialists, Thompsons Solicitors, for advice.

Tony's wife, Betty, believes that he may have exposed to asbestos during his time working for the British Rail Locking Shop and Armstrong Patents Limited.

Tony first joined British Rail in 1961 as a shunter at a railway depot in York, where he checked train carriages for faults before they were sent out for use. In 1968, Tony spent five years working in the firm's locking shop near York train station, where he dealt with electrical systems.

Tony also worked for Armstrong Patents Limited from 1966 to 1967 and again from 1974 to 1975 where he was on a production line soaking cars shock absorbers in acid.

His family is now urging anyone who worked at these locations and has information about asbestos exposures to come forward and speak to Thompsons Solicitors.

Tony's daughter, Dion, said: "Dad had been an active person for as long as I remember, but in the last couple of years of his life we saw him deteriorate to the point where he could hardly move at all. It was a horrible for our family to see and we had no idea that his ill health was asbestos-related until it was too late.

"I would urge anyone who worked for British Rail, either shunting or in the locking shop, or Armstrongs on the production lines in the 1960s and 1970s, and who can recollect the use of asbestos in these locations, to come forward and share their experiences, so we can find some answers about the disease that caused my dad's death."

Helen Tomlin, the solicitor who is dealing with the family's case, said: "Tony had a long career with a number of employers. We have run a number of successful claims against British Rail before, but unfortunately Tony died before we were instructed, and we need to speak to ex-colleagues so we can confirm the circumstances of his asbestos exposure in the specific locations where he worked.

“Tony's asbestos exposure most likely occurred while he was working for the British Rail Locking Shop and Armstrongs. As a result, it is vitally important for anyone who worked in these locations at the same time as Tony, and has information about asbestos exposure at that time, to contact us to support the family."

Anyone who has information about asbestos exposure at the British Rail locking shop or Armstrong Patents Limited should contact Helen Tomlin at Thompsons Solicitors' Leeds office on 01132 056385.