The family of an engineer who died of the asbestos related cancer mesothelioma wishes to contact his former work colleagues.

Alwyn Thomas, sometimes known by his workmates as Tom or Tommy, died of the devastating disease in April 2008.

Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos. Many sufferers were exposed to the dust in the workplace.

Alwyn died just a few days after he was diagnosed with the illness. He left behind his wife Anneliese, his three children and six grandchildren.

His family have instructed asbestos claims specialists Thompsons Solicitors to investigate the case against Alwyn’s former employer’s.

The family would like to hear from anyone who worked with Alwyn who may be able to help piece together his employment history or who may have information about how he was exposed to asbestos.

Did you work with Alwyn "Tommy" Thomas?

Alwyn was originally from Georgetown in Guyana and moved to the UK in the 1950s. He lived in the Ilford area before settling in Basildon before he died.

He worked for the Sperry Gyroscope Company Limited on Great West Road, Brentford between 1956- 1960.

From 1960 to 1963 he worked for Motor Gear and Engineering Company Ltd in Chadwell Heath, Essex.

He also worked for car manufacturer Ford at the Dagenham site from 1963 to 1965 and then at Ford’s Basildon site from 1965 to 1991.

Did you work with Mr Thomas at Sperry Gyroscope Company, Ford Dagenham or Ford Basildon?

Thompsons wish to speak to any of Alwyn’s former colleagues who he worked with at Sperry Gyroscope Company, Ford Dagenham and Ford Basildon. They are interested in any information about the working environment during the time he was employed at the sites.

Alwyn’s son Marcus said: “When my dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma we didn’t know what it was. It was only after he died that we began to look into where he was exposed to asbestos.

“We would urge anyone who remembers working with my dad to come forward to help us find out more about his working life.”

Client representative at Thompsons Solicitors, Andrew Venn added: “Mesothelioma is a devastating disease caused only by exposure to asbestos.

“Mr Thomas was extremely ill when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma and was unable to give his family a full picture of how he was exposed to asbestos.

“Information from Mr Thomas’ former work colleagues will help us to build a picture of his working conditions and will help us advise his family. If anyone has any details which they think may assist please get in touch.”

Anyone with any information should contact Andrew Venn on 08000 224 224.