A Leeds man has received substantial compensation following his diagnosis of the asbestos related disease, mesothelioma.
In 1973 he worked for a tailors near presses, which created asbestos dust during day to day use. He was also exposed to asbestos dust when maintenance workers stripped asbestos lagging from pipework, as he was expected to sweep up the debris.
His employer did not provide any protection, meaning he would breathe in the asbestos dust and it would settle on his hair and clothes.
When he started feeling breathless he visited hospital, where tests identified that he had fluid on his lung, and he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
He then instructed asbestos disease specialists, Thompsons Solicitors, who investigated his work history and made a successful claim for compensation.
His wife said: “I knew the conditions my husband worked in were dirty and poorly ventilated, but neither of us realised the damaging effect this would have on his health. It was a complete shock to find out he had developed mesothelioma.
“Thompsons has been invaluable to us since we started working with them. We’ve been guided through every step of the legal process, which has ensured that our family has financial security.”
Marion Voss, of Thompsons Solicitors, said: “Despite taking decades to develop, the debilitating effects of mesothelioma meant that our client suffered serious ill health well before his retirement age.
“Something as simple as providing adequate protection should be ingrained into the health and safety policy of every company.
Unfortunately it wasn’t and, at Thompsons, we see the consequences of this all too often when contacted by clients who have developed asbestos-related diseases.
“We have fought hard to ensure that his family are compensated fully for financial and other losses as they come to terms with the devastating impact of the disease.”