The family of a Leeds man is searching for information about his exposure to asbestos after he died from mesothelioma.

John Mason, 83, from Harehills in Leeds died from the cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to the deadly dust.

John instructed asbestos claims specialists Thompsons Solicitors to obtain advice about compensation. Following his death his family vowed to continue the claim at his request.

John may have been in contact with asbestos during two of his previous jobs.

Did you work at British Gas on Meadow Lane, Leeds or at CCL Systems on Elland Road, Leeds during the 1950's and 1960's?

He worked for British Gas in Meadow Lane, Leeds during the 1950s as a boiler and furnace worker.

He also worked for CCL Systems based in Elland Road, Leeds from 1960 to 1990. He worked his way up from operator to charge hand.

Before he died John said: “My life has been shattered by mesothelioma and I am devastated that exposure to asbestos all those years ago caused it. It’s important to me that the employer who caused it is held responsible.”

Shaun said: “It was my uncle’s dying wish for the family to continue his fight for compensation. He wanted someone to take responsibility for his exposure to asbestos and ultimately his death.

“I would urge anyone who remembers working with my Uncle to get in touch.”

Exposure to asbestos at work

Marion Voss at Thompsons Solicitors, added: “It is important to build up an accurate picture of Mr Mason’s exposure to asbestos. We are exploring a number of different avenues but need more information.

“The family would like to hear from anyone who has information about the working environment at British Gas in Meadow Lane in the 1950s and at CCL Systems in Elland Road during the 1960s.

Anyone who has any information should contact Marion Voss on 08000 224 224.

This news story was also published by Yorkshire Evening Post.