The family are looking for anyone who worked at Pembroke Power Station from 1967 to 1971
A Pembrokeshire woman whose mother died of mesothelioma after washing her husband’s overalls is urging anyone with information about asbestos at her father’s workplace to get in touch.
Kathleen Collin’s mother, Joyce Hood, passed away after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer associated with asbestos exposure.
Mrs Hood was a homemaker and her family believe she was exposed to asbestos when handling the overalls of her late husband, Stanley Hood, which they think were contaminated with asbestos dust and fibres through his work at Pembroke Power Station. It is believed Mr Hood worked as a contractor on the turbines in the power station and was involved in pipe fitting and the applying or removal of asbestos-based lagging.
Kathleen's mother, Joyce Hood, who passed away from mesothelioma
Stanley Hood, who worked at Pembroke Power Station
Following her mother’s death, Kathleen contacted J M Parsons & Co, a Llanelli-based litigation firm specialising in asbestos-related disease claims, to assist her with an asbestos disease compensation claim.
“I am hoping to speak with anyone who can shine a light on my dad’s employment and how he could have been exposed to asbestos,” Kathleen said. “As a ‘jack of all trades’, he would have been known to a large number of workers and other members of staff, which we hope will increase our chances of finding someone who can help.
“Any information provided could be the missing piece of the puzzle we desperately need, so please get in touch if you think you can help.”
Anyone who remembers Stanley Hood from their time at Pembroke Power Station, or indeed anyone who worked there in the late 60s or early 70s, should not hesitate to make contact with us.
Amanda Jones Practice Manager, J M Parsons & Co
Asbestos is the single biggest cause of work-related deaths in the UK, causing thousands of deaths and serious illnesses. The number of asbestos deaths is expected to rise until 2020.
Amanda Jones, practice manager at J M Parsons & Co and the solicitor supporting Kathleen, said: “Stanley worked at the power station for a large part of his career and would have come into contact with asbestos in a variety of ways.
“Anyone who remembers Stanley Hood from their time at Pembroke Power Station, or indeed anyone who worked there in the late 60s or early 70s, should not hesitate to make contact with us.”
Those with further information should contact Amanda Jones at J M Parsons and Co Solicitors, part of Thompsons Solicitors, on 01554 779 940 or email Amanda@jmplaw.co.uk.
Asbestos disease diagnosis? Talk to us for advice and support on how to secure compensation.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease, we can support you with advice on how to make a claim.
The process will be explained in plain English and with no obligation – our priority is to provide you with the best, expert advice on whether you have a valid case for compensation, and to signpost you to further sources of support.
There are strict time limits applied to making a claim – usually three years from the date of diagnosis. It doesn’t matter if the exposure to asbestos took place – as it often does – decades ago, the three year time limit applies to the date of knowledge of diagnosis or date of death.
For further information, visit our How to Make A Compensation Claim page.