The family of a cancer victim are urging her former work colleagues to come forward with information about her exposure to asbestos.

Jill Bird, 63, from Luton died in November last year just weeks after she was diagnosed with asbestos related cancer mesothelioma.

Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos. Many sufferers were exposed to the dust in the workplace. It is usually, although not always, associated with those who worked in heavy industry.

Jill was employed as a cashier with Lloyds TSB from 1961 until 2004

Jill, a mother of one and grandmother to three, worked as a cashier for a number of different Lloyds TSB branches in Luton from 1961 until 2004 when she retired.

Her family contacted Thompsons Solicitors after learning that she may have been exposed to asbestos while working at the George Street branch of Lloyds TSB.

Before she died Jill discovered her former workmate Nicki Hopper was also suffering from the disease and wanted to find out more about how they were exposed to asbestos.

Asbestos in the premises where they used to work

Her husband Bryan Bird said: “It was a horrendous shock when we found out that Jill was suffering from mesothelioma. The doctors kept asking if she knew where she had been exposed to asbestos. It wasn’t until Jill discovered Nicki was also suffering from the same disease that she remembered that there was asbestos in the premises where they both used to work.

“If anyone has any information about Jill’s employment at Lloyds TSB or the condition of the George Street branch premises when Jill worked there we would urge them to get in touch.”

Thompsons wish to speak to anyone who worked at the George Street branch of Lloyds TSB particularly during the period 1960 to 1990. They are interested in any information about the working environment during the time she was employed there.

Mesothelioma is a devastating disease caused only by exposure to asbestos

Client representative at Thompsons Solicitors, Ann-Marie Christie added: “Mesothelioma is a devastating disease caused only by exposure to asbestos.

“It is important that we trace Jill Bird’s former workmates so we can build up an accurate description of her working conditions.”

Anyone who has any information should contact Ann-Marie Christie on 08000 224 224.