Thompsons Solicitors client, Greg Foster, hopes to find more information about how he contracted the infection.

A man who developed a dangerous parasitic infection following a holiday in Turkey, is urging fellow travellers to come forward with information about the resort he stayed in. 

Greg Foster was on an all-inclusive holiday at the Green Forest Hotel resort, near the village of Hisaronu, from 9 to 23 May 2016 when he developed stomach pains and a high temperature. 

A doctor prescribed him antibiotics, but when the medication failed to ease his pain he was taken to hospital, where he was diagnosed with amoebic dysentery. 

Amoebic dysentery is an infection of the intestine that can spread to other organs in the body, causing diarrhoea with blood, vomiting and a loss of appetite. The parasites usually enter the body through contaminated food and drink, and the infection is commonly associated with tropical locations.  

Greg spent one night in a Turkish hospital before flying back to the UK, where his GP gave him further treatment for the infection. He needed two weeks off work to recover, and continues to suffer occasional pain and indigestion while eating.

 

He is now urging anyone else who became ill after visiting the resort to get in touch with Thompsons Solicitors to assist in a claim for compensation.

“I went to Turkey with the intention of enjoying time away with my girlfriend, but I ended up coming back with a serious infection that continues to affect me to this day,” said Greg. “It completely ruined the trip and left me unable to work for two weeks. My GP’s first response was that I must have picked the parasite up abroad, as it is so rare in the UK. 

“I can remember other holidaymakers complaining of similar pain during the trip, so I’m confident that I wasn’t the only one that suffered at the resort. If anyone can help, or suffered themselves, I would urge them to get in touch with Thompsons so I can understand how I developed this painful infection.”  

“Thompsons Solicitors proudly supports those who suffer illness abroad, and we hope that others affected get in touch, so that we can pursue a potential claim for compensation for Greg, and indeed for them if they have suffered too.”

Laura Morris, foreign jurisdiction solicitor at Thompsons Solicitors

Laura Morris, of Thompsons Solicitors, said: “Food and drink-related illnesses abroad don’t just ruin a person’s holiday, they can be life-changing if not treated quick enough. Greg was fortunate enough to be treated by doctors in the area before flying back to the UK, but that hasn’t stopped him from feeling the after-effects almost a year later. 

“Thompsons Solicitors proudly supports those who suffer illness abroad, and we hope that others affected get in touch, so that we can pursue a potential claim for compensation for Greg, and indeed for them if they have suffered too.”