Our road accident compensation claim specialists answer some of the most frequently-asked questions about making a personal injury compensation claim after being injured in a collision with an uninsured or stolen vehicle. 

1. What should I do if I’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured or stolen vehicle? 

Make sure you are safe: If you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured or stolen vehicle it’s important to remove yourself from danger as soon as you can – such as moving off a busy carriageway to avoid any further injury from passing vehicles. Try to advise everyone else involved to do the same. 

Swap details: Once everyone involved is safe, you should record the details of the other driver if they’re still there, as well as those of any eye witnesses that could act as evidence in a personal injury claim. Photographs of the scene will also help increase the chances of your claim’s success. 

Contact the police: You should always call 999 after an accident, but this is vital if the other driver isn’t insured or was using a stolen car. To make a personal injury compensation claim, you will need to contact the police within five days of the crash and request a crime reference number. 

Seek medical help: If you suffer a serious injury, you may require medical attention at the scene of the accident. However, even injuries that don’t need immediate treatment – such as whiplash - could have long-term effects so it’s best to visit your GP for a check-up as soon as you can, or call 999 to request an ambulance if you have more serious concerns, especially if anyone involved is bleeding, suffered a blow to the head or has lost consciousness (even if only for a short time). 

2. What are the most common kinds of injuries suffered in road accidents? 

Some of the most common forms of injuries Thompsons Solicitors sees as a result of road accidents include: soft-tissue injuries (more commonly known as whiplash injury); bruising, cuts and lacerations; head injuries including concussion and other, more serious forms of brain injury; broken bones and spinal injuries; serious burns; amputations and in the severest of cases, fatalities

However minor or severe, Thompsons Solicitors’ road traffic accident lawyers have the right qualifications and expertise to manage your case and bring it to a successful conclusion. This includes more complex claims including uninsured or stolen vehicles. 

3. The driver who hit me is uninsured. Will I still be able to receive compensation? 

Yes. If the driver who caused your accident is uninsured, any claim you need to make would be to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). This is something Thompsons Solicitors can help you with. 

4. What is the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB)? 

The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) supports claims for people who have been injured in road crashes involving an uninsured or untraced driver. You can always deal with the MIB directly, but many people will turn to Thompsons Solicitors for professional legal assistance. 

All claims through the MIB must be started within three years of the accident occurring. 

5. I have been hit by a driver in a stolen car. What are my legal options? 

If you have been hit by a driver in a stolen vehicle, but the driver that hit you has been identified by the police, the insurance policy taken out by the owner of the vehicle that was stolen may cover the cost of the compensation. Similarly to uninsured vehicles however, this is at the discretion of the insurance company. If they do not comply, contact Thompsons Solicitors and we can either help you make a claim against the insurers or help you take your claim forward to the MIB. 

6. How can I fund a road traffic accident claim against an uninsured driver? 

In the majority of road crash compensation cases, including those involving uninsured drivers, Thompsons Solicitors advises clients to fund their claim through a ‘no win, no fee’ agreement (also known as a conditional fee agreement), or through your trade union if you are a member. 

In both instances you will never pay if the case is unsuccessful. As a trade union member, you will get free expert representation whether you win or lose, and you will also get 100 per cent of any compensation secured whether you win or lose. 

Contact our road accident specialists for more information.

If you have been injured by an uninsured driver, or a driver using a stolen vehicle, you may be able to make a compensation claim. Call us on 0800 0 224 224, or complete a personal injury compensation claim form, to start the process.