Nicola is a Partner and Principal Lawyer at Thompsons' London office., leading the serious injury team. Specialising in complex catastrophic injury claims from personal injury accidents and medical negligence since 2001, she joined Thompsons in 2013, becoming a partner in 2022.
Her expertise encompasses maximum severity cases like adult and child brain injury, neurological trauma, spinal cord injury, amputations, and other severe injuries. In clinical negligence, she handles cases of cerebral palsy, birth injuries, hypoglycaemia, and undiagnosed severe conditions. She also supervises team members.
Driven by client-centric principles, Nicola ensures early access to rehabilitation, interim payments, and pragmatic case resolution. Working collaboratively with opponents, she secures optimal client outcomes.
She strives for stress-free litigation experiences after life-altering injuries, with support from a dedicated team. Nicola's record includes the highest-ever damage settlement for a member of one trade union.
Representing clients in multi-million-pound cases, Nicola has a caseload representing a net value expected to exceed £30m, attesting to her prowess in litigating high-value, challenging personal injury cases.
"Nicola Saunders is a brilliant lawyer who really fights every inch for her clients all the time. She is extremely attentive and responsive and manages a wide variety of clinical negligence claims at a high level." - Legal 500 2023
Nicola's case experience
- Nicola secured damages in excess of £3m for a client who suffered a below-knee amputation in a road traffic accident, securing extensive rehabilitation and accommodation by way of interim payments along the way.
- Nicola secured damages in excess of £2m for a client who suffered a below-knee amputation in a workplace accident. Compensation included a comprehensive package of specialist rehabilitation funded by interim payments, and a final settlement including advanced prosthetics (Empower prosthesis and BioDapt ankle for motocross).
- Nicola secured damages in excess of £1m for a client who was involved in a road traffic accident and was struck by a car whilst crossing the road, suffering a brain injury. Liability was denied, and the claimant tenaciously fought until close to the trial, with settlement being achieved on a 100% basis.
- Nicola secured damages in excess of £1m following a workplace incident in which her client was assaulted. He suffered serious hand injuries and developed a complex psychiatric condition, treatment for which was funded by way of interim payments to secure specialist in-patient treatment. Liability was denied until close to trial, but damages were recovered on a 100% basis.
- Nicola secured a liability compromise in a complex wrongful birth case (clinical negligence).
Nicola is an Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) member.