I’ve suffered a personal injury while on a boat or ship – can I make a personal injury claim?21 November 2017
Key things you need to know about boating accidents and making a personal injury compensation claim
Thompsons Solicitors has a wealth of experience in dealing with personal injury compensation claims, from slips and trips and falls through to medical negligence and industrial diseases. Our specialists have successfully secured millions of pounds for clients across the UK and they can help you too, even if you’ve been injured on a boat or ship.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT MAKING A BOAT OR SHIP ACCIDENT COMPENSATION CLAIM
1. Does the type of boat I was on when I had the accident matter, in terms of making a personal injury claim?
No. Seafaring vessels such as boats, ships, cruise-liners and ferries are all subject to the same health and safety legislation.
They can be places of employment, modes of transport, holiday accommodation, or a form of leisure activity while on holiday. If you were involved in an accident on board a boat or ship that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a compensation claim.
Call Thompsons Solicitors’ expert personal injury lawyers today on 0800 0 224 224 for more information on how we may be able to help you make a claim for compensation.
2. What types of boat accident claims has Thompsons Solicitors dealt with?
There are many different ways a person can be injured while on-board a boat or ship. Some of the most common accidents Thompsons Solicitors has dealt with include slips, trips and falls and injuries caused by falling objects.
Thompsons Solicitors has also helped a number of people to make personal injury claims who have developed asbestos-related illnesses after working on ships with asbestos materials.
Click below to read the stories of some of the people we’ve helped to secure compensation for boat accident claims:
- A disabled holiday maker crushed by wheelchair lift on narrow boat receives compensation
- Ferry workers warned about hearing risks
- Cruise liner pays £10,000 to holidaymaker
- MoD and Devonport Royal Dockyard to pay £12,000 damages to injured Ship’s Rigger from Plymouth
- East Yorkshire woman secures compensation after anniversary cruise on the Queen Mary 2 turns into disaster.
3. What do I need to do in order to make a personal injury claim after an accident on board a boat?
If you or somebody you know has suffered an injury while on a boat or ship, you should get in touch with Thompsons Solicitors as soon as possible for advice on whether you can claim compensation.
Call us on 0800 0 224 224 - our personal injury lawyers will be happy to talk you through the process of making a claim and answer any questions you may have.
4. Do time limits apply when making a boating accident claim for compensation?
Yes. The time limit for making any personal injury claim is usually three years from the date at which the accident occurred. Accidents on boats, ships and cruise liners, however, can be covered by separate regulations and in some circumstances you will need to make a claim within two years of the date of the accident occurring. Contact Thompsons Solicitors’ specialists for guidance.
5. How can I fund a boating accident compensation claim?
There are a number of ways in which you can fund a personal injury compensation claim following a boat accident, including a ‘no win, no fee’ agreement. You can find more information about payment methods on our Fees and Payment page or by calling us on 0800 0 224 224.
6. Will my union membership affect how I fund my personal injury claim?
If you are a member of a trade union, you and your family may be entitled to free legal support from Thompsons Solicitors. Your union membership also means that you will receive 100 per cent of the compensation that we secure for you with no deductions for legal fees. This is something other law firms won’t offer. Please check the specifics of your union’s scheme.
7. Why should I choose Thompsons Solicitors to help me make a personal injury claim following a boat or ship accident?
With over 90 years’ experience in winning hundreds of thousands of personal injury claims for our clients, Thompsons Solicitors is uniquely committed to only representing the injured, and has never – and will never – work for insurance companies. We are one of the UK’s most experienced personal injury law firms and you can be confident that with Thompsons Solicitors, you will receive the upmost legal guidance and advice throughout the duration of your claim.
To begin a boat accident compensation claim, call Thompsons Solicitors’ personal injury experts on 0800 0 224 224, or fill in a personal injury compensation claim form online.