A 33-year-old welder received 60 per cent burns when a can of thinner exploded. Nottingham Magistrates Court was told that the worker was cutting metal at Fluorocarbon Bakeware Systems Ltd when a spark ignited vapours from the nearby can.

The Health and Safety Executive, which prosecuted the company, found that although flammable liquids were stored correctly in other parts of the site, there was no provision for the storage of the thinners in this area and no risk assessment had been carried out.

The company pleaded guilty to contravening regulations 5(1) and 6(1) of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 and was fined £10,000. It was also ordered to pay costs of £5,227.

Peter Magee a solicitor at Thompsons Solicitors’ Serious Injuries Unit said: “Severe burns injuries have a huge lasting impact. Sadly as is so often the case, these injuries were, the HSE said, entirely preventable”.

For more information go to: http://nds.coi.gov.uk/