Phil has acted for clients injured in workplaces ranging from construction sites to offices, schools to factories and shops. The cases have ranged from minor injuries to workplace fatalities.
Phil, who leads and supervises a team of lawyers, is proud of his considerable legal expertise, but also of his ability to build relationships with clients when they are often undergoing the most stressful time of their lives. He always keeps his clients up-to-date with the latest developments in their case, while ensuring they are awarded the compensation they deserve as quickly as possible.
Outside of work Phil, is a long distance runner and a season ticket holder at the local football club he has supported since he was a boy.
Phil's case experience
Here is a small sample of the cases run by Phil during his long career at the Leeds office of Thompsons Solicitors:
- Phil gained £575,000 in damages for a young man who lost the tips of three fingers after they were jammed in a copper rolling mill. His employer denied liability, alleging the new worker had ignored instructions and had been at fault for wearing gloves whilst removing metal from the machine. Phil was able to prove that neither his client nor his colleagues had been properly trained and that it was impossible to remove the metal from the machine without gloves due to its extreme heat.
- The young man became extremely self-conscious about his disability and Phil secured interim payments to pay for prosthetic fingers. Despite a continued denial of liability, Phil pushed for meetings where a settlement was achieved.
- Phil gained damages of £425,000 for a paramedic whose right hand was crushed between two vehicle doors by a colleague. Despite a series of operations, his hand was permanently disabled and he was unable to continue as a paramedic, a job he loved. The client managed to stay working for the NHS as a clinical adviser with the 111 service on lower pay, for which Phil ensured he was properly compensated.
- Phil secured a settlement of £177,000 for a factory worker whose leg was badly burned as he used a defective propane torch which set light to his clothing. Liability was admitted but the initial settlement offer was of only £40,000. The client needed skin grafts and was left with scarring. The case was complicated by the fact that the client developed a serious long-term psychological condition and Phil had to draw on his extensive client care skills to guide the factory worker through the legal process and obtain key medical evidence.
- Phil also secured £400,000 in damages for a client forced to retire early through ill health following a trip at work. The man suffered injuries to his lower back. His condition worsened and he was left reliant on strong painkillers to cope with his injuries.
- A client of Phil's who was struck by a fork lift truck at his workplace and run over was awarded £100,000. The man suffered fractures to the pelvis and other serious injuries, and was left with permanently damaged internal organs despite several operations. Phil proved that despite wearing all the relevant safety clothing, the area of the workplace was badly organised.
- Phil also supported a healthcare assistant who was spat at by an NHS service user. The client lost most of their sight in one eye after developing an infection. The trust had taken precautionary measures, but Phil was able to show that it was not the first incident of its kind. The client, who might have to undergo more operations, received £100,000 shortly before trial having previously been offered £40,000.
Phil is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
“I would like to send a massive thanks to you for all you have done for me in the last five years and I wish you happiness and success in all you do.”
“Thompsons have been excellent in getting the compensation after we were all badly injured in a car accident four years ago. Without your help I don't think we would be feeling financially secure. A very big thank you to everyone involved at Thompsons.”